Write Your Goals Everyday

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” – Michelangelo Buonarroti

Many people make goals to start the new year. That being said, many people forget about those goals almost immediately after the new year has started. Don’t be one of those people.

I’ve done a lot of reading about self-improvement and probably the most important thing I’ve learned is to write my goals every morning as soon as I wake up.  I learned this from a book by Grant Cardone, called Be Obsessed or Be Average which you can by the book with the hyperlinked title.

In the book, Cardone, who has amassed a $750 million real estate empire, discusses how he typically writes his goals 1-2 times daily, or whenever he needs motivation. Cardone, who also authored the 10X Rule (A book that encourages the reader to take their goals and multiply them by 10), tells the readers that their goals should be somewhat outlandish and almost seemingly impossible to achieve. He also says write whatever goals you’re feeling that day. They don’t have to be the same day after day, because sometimes goals change or get bigger over time.

While his book may not be for everyone, I spent a little time actually trying this technique myself, and here’s a few things I learned.

  1.  It’s super fun to write huge goals – You could be like Gary Vaynerchuk, inspirational entrepreneur who wants to buy the NY Jets, or like Donald Trump who obviously wanted skyscrapers with his name on them. Either way, it’s fun to have big dreams, and I did find it very motivating to take small steps to achieve the bigger goal. Honestly, work has become super fun since writing down goals, as small obstacles turn into opportunities to demonstrate your worth and become stepping stones to achieving your grand life goals.
  2. It helps focus your day – Naturally when you think about your top goals in life, smaller tasks to achieve those grand goes follow. I found myself making tasks lists to achieve those goals, resulting in a much more efficient day. I recommend writing at least one task for the day to get closer to your end goal. A little progress everyday will help you make surprising leaps forward over time.
  3. It opens your eyes to opportunity – Since I have written my goals I have jumped on a few opportunities. The first thing I saw as an opportunity was that I could finish my MBA. I was already half-way done with my MBA, but I had stopped taking classes for over a year. The book not only motivated me to finish my MBA, but one of my short term goals in my career was to become a manager in my organization with direct reports. Within 6 months, that happened for me as well. I wanted to publish a website that focuses on how average people like me can become great, and now here I am. I also wanted to be in the best shape of my life. Currently I’m stronger than I have ever been. I wanted to be a better father and husband everyday, and I do feel like my patience and listening ability has increased since then. I’m not saying I’ve done amazing things, and I acknowledge that I’m mediocre in many ways, but I do feel my progress has came along since I started writing the goals down regularly.
  4. It doesn’t take much time – It really only takes about 5 minutes to do this, and the benefits far outweigh the negatives. If you feel like you really can’t find 5 minutes, I recommend writing them down in the shower. No, I’m not kidding, I’ve started taking notes in the shower with Aqua Notes Waterproof Notepad and it really is helpful. You’d be surprised what kind of creative thoughts can come to you in the shower.
  5. Priorities become clear – Sometimes we go through life as if we’re half asleep. We get up, get ready for work, go to work, come home, turn on the TV, eat, watch more TV sleep, and repeat.  When you write your goals regularly, you may find yourself giving up on Netflix, video-games, and sports for something you truly want to accomplish, ultimately leading to a more satisfying life.

But you don’t have to take my word for it. Studies indicate what most of you readers are smart enough to already know, which is that writing goals will make you more successful. In this study, only 3 percent of the Harvard class said they wrote their goals and plans down, and ten years later they earned 10 times as much as the remaining 97 percent combined!  It seems there may be some correlation to writing your goals and achieving outstanding results.

Please try writing your goals everyday and let me know if you have any recommendations for improving on what I have already posted, and remember to be great today! Thanks, as always, for reading!

Robert Krickeberg


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.